This popular baby chew toy can be full of mold! You Must Read This If You Have A Sophie The Giraffe At Home.
You Must Read This If You Have A Sophie The Giraffe At Home
Sophie The Giraffe has been one of the most popular baby chew toys for years now. But recent reports from parents reveal people have found mold growing inside of this cute little giraffe.
Recently, pediatric dentist Dana Chianese, who herself is a mama to two young boys, was cleaning some of her youngest’s toys, and noticed that the air coming out of his Sophie The Giraffe smelled musty. “I decided to cut into Sophie out of curiosity and discovered a science experiment living inside,” Chianese told Goodhousekeeping.com. “Smelly, ugly mold living in my infant’s favorite chew toy!”
Yes! Your Baby’s Sophie the Giraffe Toy Might Be Full of Mold
Chianese explains to GoodHousekeeping that she always cleaned the toy according to instructions, using hot, soapy water with a damp sponge and never submerging it into water. “It still hurts my heart to know that for months I allowed my babies to chew on moldy toys,” she says. “I no longer buy any chew toys with a hole or recommend any to my patients.”
And Chianese is not the only one to have made a rather grim discovery about her baby’s favorite chew toy. On Amazon, one reviewer tried to alert others to what she found when she cut the legs off of her child’s Sophie toy and even shared a picture for proof:
“Beware!! If you have a drooly baby, moisture will get in the hole and you’ll end up with mold!” says Amazon user Stephanie Opera. “We’ve had ours for two years and the entire inside is coated with black mold!”
Ok. I don’t know about you guys but I definitely do not want my baby eating mold. I got a Sophie The Giraffe for my daughter when she was a baby and it was one of her favorite toys. Yikes! A few months ago, I donated some toys to Goodwill and Sophie was one of the items I gave away. Unfortunately, I didn’t know at that time about the mold.
Do you have a Sophie The Giraffe toy at home?
Inspect it and be careful about the dangers of mold. Mold can pose a number of serious health problems that you may not realize are related to mold exposure.
After the recent reports, the company that makes this popular toy responded and advised parents to not submerge it in order to avoid mold growth. Uhmmm…..I am not convinced…a teething baby can produce lots of saliva. If you want to read the full explanation, just click HERE.
If you are interested in reading more about my blog, please take a look at my latest articles. I am a mom blogger who loves to share creative and healthy fun food ideas, parenting advice, and tips for a healthy lifestyle.