Mac & Cheese doesn’t have to be unhealthy if you use the right ingredients! This Healthy Homemade Mac and Cheese with broccoli recipe is very simple, easy and so delicious! The best part: it is homemade! After trying this recipe you won’t want to buy boxed Mac & Cheese ever again!
My husband and son absolutely love this dish! Try and include some vegetables and make it a healthy dinner option. By choosing a good pasta you can also serve your family a healthier meal. I recommend 100% whole wheat , brown rice or Quinoa pasta. There are so many varieties out there like gluten free versions and 100% whole grains.
I still need to figure out how to make my own pasta and it is something I want to try soon. Remember homemade is always the best choice. Feel good about cooking with real and fresh ingredients. It is really the best thing for your health. Most boxed mac and cheese versions are full of chemicals and artificial colors. The cheese is not even real cheese. Make your own, eat a healthier version and start improving your eating habits. Avoid processed foods that have no nutrition by staying away from cans and boxes.
Remember also that if the product says whole wheat or whole grains doesn’t necessarily mean it is made with only whole grains. You need to look for the label: 100% whole grains for it to be a healthy choice. Adding vegetables is also a great idea. I love my Healthy Homemade Mac and Cheese with broccoli. Use real butter, real cheese and preferably, buy organic ingredients.
Healthy Homemade Mac and Cheese IngredientsPrint
Healthy Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 -3 1x
Homemade version of regular mac and cheese using fresh ingredients.
- Quinoa macaroni pasta (about 1 cup or a small bag, you can use any other pasta you like)
- 1 cup cooked and chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese aprox (I used cheddar)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream aprox
- 1/4 cup milk aprox
- 2 tbs butter (I like to use real butter)
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese (you can use other types too)
- Salt to taste
- Cook pasta according to the instructions, drain and then put back in the pan and start adding the rest of the ingredients. Mix all the ingredients well.
- If you like it with more sauce or creamier just add some more cheese and milk. I leave it up to you and your taste if you like it really creamy or not. Just try adding a little at a time so you can see how much sauce you want.
- Place on baking dish and top with gruyere cheese. Bake at 375 for about 10-15 minutes.
- See how easy it is to make healthy homemade mac and cheese? You can really avoid those mac and cheese boxes full of preservatives and make your own. It is easy, it is tastier and it is healthier for you and your loved ones!
- When I was making this recipe, I cooked extra broccoli and decided to make one of my favorite kid’s meals: broccoli nuggets
- Category: dinner
Leave a Comment