If you’re looking for a fun dessert for parties, Halloween, or just as a great surprise for your kids, you have to try this tasty Monsters Inc Healthy Fruit Tart! It’s such an awesome way to include whole fruits and healthy ingredients in a dessert recipe.
Monsters Inc Healthy Fruit Tart
This Monsters Inc Healthy Tart, inspired by a recipe from The Sweetest Vegan, is a perfectly healthy dessert for the entire family and full of health benefits! Not only is this recipe dairy free, but it is also sugar and egg free! It’s great for parties, too! Speaking of, you might also want to try my 5 Healthy Halloween Fun Food ideas for more fun & creative food ideas to serve along with it!
Before we learn how to make it, let’s talk about why it’s such a great healthy dessert! Then, keep reading for recipe, which you can easily print out and save for later!
Benefits of Serving This Healthy Fruit Tart
As I said, this tart isn’t just cute, it’s super healthy, too! Let’s take a look at a few of the ingredients and find out what makes them so fantastic.
Whole-grain oats, like those in the oat-based crust, are an important part of a healthy diet. See, even though giving up carbs is all the rage with people trying to lose weight, the human body actually does need carbohydrates to stay healthy, as they’re a major source of energy for every single cell.
The key is to choose complex carbohydrates, like whole grain oats. These powerful little carbs have numerous science-backed health benefits ranging from helping control your appetite to lowering bad cholesterol. They may even help lower your family’s risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
They don’t call avocados a super food for no reason! These mighty little fruits are positively packed with fabulous nutrients. They’re a great source of vitamins C, E, K, and B-6 and minerals like magnesium and potassium. Like oats, they help maintain a healthy cholesterol level. Plus, the Vitamin K is good for bone health and may even help prevent osteoporosis later in life.
If you have extras after you finish making your tart, use them in some of my favorite healthy avocado breakfast recipes or these crispy avocado fries! They make a fabulous alternative to greasy french fries.
Almond milk isn’t just a great alternative for those who are allergic to dairy, it’s beneficial all around. It has half the calories as regular 2% milk and none of the cholesterol or saturated fat. While it may not have quite as much calcium as the regular stuff, just one serving helps you get a good 25% of your recommended daily intake. It’s also loaded with Vitamin E, which helps fight free radicals.
Another major super-fruit, kiwis may be tiny, but they’re surprisingly loaded with important nutrients. In fact, one serving of kiwi has more vitamin C than the same amount of an orange. Kiwi also has phytonutrients, which have shown great promise in helping protect against certain types of cancer. On top of all that, they’re full of fiber.
Bananas are pretty well-known for their potassium content, but they’re more than just a good source of the vital mineral. Some evidence shows that they may help protect against asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, and more. Since you’re sure to have some left after making your tart, try these easy healthy 2-ingredient banana cookies!
On their own, all of these major ingredients in the Monsters Inc Fruit Tart have pretty spectacular benefits, so it’s easy to see why it’s such a healthy dessert! Plus, it’s so much fun that kids will definitely want to try it!
How to Make This Monsters Inc Healthy Fruit Tart
Don’t let the number of steps scare you, it’s actually a very easy recipe to make! In fact, it’s so easy that you can get the kids involved, which is a great way to get them to try new foods. Make the crust and filling, then let kids help layer the kiwis and create Mike’s face.Print
This Monsters Inc Healthy Fruit Tart recipe is dairy free, sugar and egg free! The perfectly healthy dessert for the entire family to enjoy. Vegan, gluten free, paleo friendly.
(For the crust)
- 1 1/2 cup old fashion oats
- 4 pitted dates
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
(For the filling)
- 2 avocados*
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
(For the topping)
- 4 peeled, thinly sliced large kiwis
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup raisins
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grind 1/2 cup old fashion oats into flour using a food processor.
- Process pitted dates with oat flour until small pieces form.
- Add salt, cinnamon, coconut oil, remaining oats, and water to the food processor and pulse to combine (but not grind).
- Spread the oatmeal mixture over the bottom and sides of a 9 inch tart pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. It should appear browned and dry. Allow to cool before filling.
Make the filling:
- Puree the meat of the avocados and one peeled banana in a food processor.
- Add in almond milk and vanilla extract and continue to process until well mixed.
- Pour the green pudding onto the crust and level with a spatula.
How to make Mike Wazowski’s face:
- Create Mike’s face by layering kiwi one top of the other in a spiral pattern.
- Start from the outside and work your way to the center, being sure to cover the white centers of the kiwi.
- Peel and thinly slice 1/2 a banana.
- Arrange a few of the banana slices near the top center of the tart to form an eye ball.
- Place one slice of kiwi in the center of the eyeball for an iris.
- Put a couple of raisins over the white of the kiwi to make a pupil.
- Cut one of the banana slices in half and place them at the top of the tart for Mike’s horns.
- Cut about four banana slices into quarters (or fours).
- Place them where you think teeth should go, keeping in mind that he is usually pictured with more teeth on the top row than on the bottom.
- Fill the space between the rows of teeth with raisins to make the mouth appear more realistic.
*Makes one 9-inch tart
*If your avocados are too hard, try this hack for ripening an avocado in just minutes!
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: healthy dessert, fruit tart, party food