This Baked Eggplant Parmesan Boats recipe is super easy to make and a fun version for regular eggplant parmesan.
Baked Eggplant Parmesan Boats. A great healthy alternative incorporating nutritious eggplants. Please also see my recipe Baked Eggplant Parmesan.
My 5 year old son loves pizza and I told him this was a different version. He really enjoyed it, and even took a boat for lunch to school the following day. A little creativity and you can incorporate healthier ingredients and swap them for unhealthy options. If you want more information, please see 5 Ingredient Swaps For Healthier Eating.
The recipe requires some preparation to lightly bread the eggplants, but after that it is really easy and simple. Just prepare and bake your Baked Eggplant Parmesan Boats and enjoy.
Serve these Baked Eggplant Parmesan Boats as an appetizer or main dish. You can also use any type of ground meat or simply make them vegetarian with cheese. I used Italian pork sausage and mozzarella cheese this time.
Baked Eggplant Parmesan BoatsPrint
Creative appetizer idea using delicious eggplant. Serve it as an appetizer or meal.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 pound ground meat (use pork, beef, chicken or turkey)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese *about
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of flour
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut your eggplant in slices (not too thick and not too thin).
- Put the flour, egg, and the bread crumbs each separately in 3 shallow dishes. Season the eggplant both sides with salt and pepper. Dip each slice into the flour, then shake off the excess. Next, run the eggplant through the egg to coat it lightly. Finally, lightly bread your eggplant slices both sides. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes (turning once).
- In a large skillet, sauté the ground meat with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. When the meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce. Mix well.
- Place it on top of each eggplant slice and then cover with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake again at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes.
- Category: appetizer