My grocery shopping list had a new favorite vegetable this week: Eggplant! I am always trying new recipes and ways to introduce more vegetables and healthy ingredients in my weekly meals. This week I wanted to try something new. This Baked Eggplant Parmesan was a success! My husband and son loved it.
I really like eggplants but never cooked them at home before. For some reason, eggplants are not so popular. This week I saw them and thought: I am going to try to make Baked Eggplant Parmesan! I was a little scared because I never cooked them before. Well, now I know it is super easy to make and my family enjoys it too.
What are the health benefits of eating eggplant? Eggplant is a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B1, and copper. It is also a good source of manganese, vitamin B6, niacin, potassium, folate, and vitamin K. Eggplants help improve the body’s overall health, boost the immune system, and improve resistance to various diseases. Dietary fiber protects against colon cancer, keeps the digestive system working properly, and keeps the stomach feeling full after a meal.
I decided to bake the eggplant instead of frying. It is less messy and so much healthier. My Baked Eggplant Parmesan came out perfectly crispy without the extra oil from pan frying. Another victory!
First you need to peel and slice 1 large eggplant. Not too thick and not too thin, about 1/2 inch. Add some salt and pepper to taste to each slice.
Then you need to coat each slice with flour, then lightly beaten eggs, and finally breadcrumbs (I added parmesan cheese and oregano), and place them on a baking sheet on top of parchment paper. Oil it with a little olive oil or ghee to prevent sticking. Bake for about 10 minutes. Take them out of the oven.
Using a baking casserole, put some marinara sauce on the bottom, your eggplant slices on top, a little more sauce then add some shredded cheese ( I used mozzarella). Ready to go in the oven!
Bake for about 20 minutes and enjoy a wonderful meal! You could serve it with your favorite salad, mashed potatoes, pasta or just by itself.Print
Great vegetarian dinner option for the entire family. This Baked Eggplant Parmesan is very easy to make and so delicious.
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Oregano to taste (optional, for more flavor)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Add some salt and pepper to taste.
- Take out a big piece of parchment paper and put it on top of your kitchen counter. Place the flour in one side and the breadcrumb mixture (with oregano and parmesan cheese if using) on the other side. Place the lightly beaten eggs in a medium bowl, Dredge each eggplant slice first in flour, then the eggs, and finally in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the breaded slices on a baking sheet on top of greased parchment paper (use ghee or olive oil to grease).
- Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- In a casserole dish, spread a little marinara sauce on the bottom. Place the breaded eggplant slices on top. Then add a little bit marinara sauce on top and then the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Category: dinner