Sweet Corn Pie With Ground Beef Filling is one of my favorite recipes. I love the combination of sweet and salty ingredients.
Sweet Corn Pie With Ground Beef Filling
In my opinion, this is the perfect holiday dish to share with my family. This is also the most famous dish in Chile, called in Spanish: “Pastel de Choclo”. It requires some prep time but you won’t be disappointed. Everyone loves a good homemade Pastel de Choclo. Comfort food at its best.
You can choose to make your filling with ground beef or turkey. Some people in Chile make it with shredded chicken and beef but I prefer making it with just one meat. You can also add a couple of hard boiled eggs to the filing. Just add the eggs at the end and mix well.
I cooked my filling with a little Ghee. Just a tip of a tablespoon was enough to cook because the meat has some fat too. Cooking with ghee is healthier because ghee has a high smoke point, so it won’t break down into free radicals like many other cooking oils. You can also use butter or a little olive oil if you prefer.
For the corn, put it in a food processor pulsing several times. Then when cooked in low to medium heat, mix constantly to achieve a good texture. You don’t want the corn blended because the pie, once cooked, will break easily.
If you have leftovers, simply refrigerate the pie covered and eat within 2-3 days. This Sweet Corn Pie With Ground Beef Filing is even better when you eat it the following day! It rests in the refrigerator and all the flavors mix and incorporate. Serve warm always.Print
Great family recipe. Sweet and salty combination of ingredients.
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1/4 cup milk about
- 1/4 cup butter about
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- cooking oil or ghee
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sauté the onions in a little cooking oil or ghee until soft and translucent, (about 5 minutes). Add the ground beef, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until the beef is cooked. Add the raisins and olives and mix. Remove from heat and set aside. You can then add the chopped hard boiled eggs.
- Place the corn kernels in a food processor and pulse several times. Do not over do it.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium pan, add a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and the corn. Add some milk (about 1/4 cup) and simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 5 to 10 minutes. You don’t want the corn mix too thin so add a little milk at a time until desired texture.
- In a large baking dish, place the ground beef at the bottom. Then cover with the corn mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, until the corn is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Category: dinner
If you are interested in reading more about my blog, please take a look at my latest articles. I am a mom blogger who loves to share creative and healthy fun food ideas, family activities, natural remedies, parenting advice, and tips for living a healthy lifestyle.
I also believe kids deserve to eat real food. If you are interested, please check out my recipes for easy to make, healthy, and homemade family meals. I am not a chef or have many years of experience cooking. So most of my recipes are very easy to prepare. I believe in cooking with fresh ingredients and try to avoid cans and boxes as much as possible.