Finding the perfect way to tell someone just how much they mean to you is never easy. There aren’t enough words in the dictionary to describe how much we love our BFF, but these inspiring friendship quotes are a great place to start!
Inspiring Friendship Quotes to Share with Your BFF
Share these friendship quotes with your BFFs or use them to help you find your own words to tell them just how much they mean to you in your Friendship Day wishes (. Maybe they’ll even inspire you to call up and reconnect with an old friend! Oh, and for once, they’re actually in a specific order. The headers tell a story about what friendship means to me. Enjoy! 😀
If you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you haven’t learned anything
“Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It’s not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.” – Muhammad Ali
A real friend walks in when the rest of the world walks out
“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” — Walter Winchell
They’re someone that we hope we never have to live without
“If you live to be a hundred, I hope I live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.” — Winnie the Pooh
Friends make the world a less scary place
“Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend.” – Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes)
One loyal friend is worth all of the relatives in the world
“One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.” – Euripides
Good friends are like stars…
“Good friends are like stars. You don’t always see them, but you know they’re always there.”
…and each one creates a whole new world for us
“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.” – Anais Nin
Best friends answer the phone any time of the day or night
It’s the friends you can call up at 4 am. that matter. – Marlene Dietrich
A day without a friend is a sad one indeed
“A day without a friend is like a pot without a single drop of honey left inside.” – Winnie the Pooh
The best friends are the ones who become family…
“There are friends, there is family, and then there are friends that become family.”
…and the ones who understand our tears
“A friend who understands your tears is much more valuable than a lot of friends who only know your smile.”
They accept us just the way we are
“A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”
Best friends know how to make us laugh…
“Best friends are the people in your life who make you laugh louder, smile brighter and live better.”
…even at times when we think we’ll never smile again
“A best friend is someone who makes you laugh even when you think you’ll never smile again.”
Time never stands in the way of friendship
“Time doesn’t take away from friendship, nor does separation.” — Tennessee Williams
We don’t need to see each other every day…
“A strong friendship doesn’t need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part.”
…and we never part where it really counts…
“True friends are never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart.” — Helen Keller
…because our roots will always be tangled
“Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.”– Ally Condie
Friends actually want to know the answer to “how are you?”
“Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer.” — Ed Cunningham
They know how to read between the lines of what you say
“Everyone hears what you say. Friends listen to what you say. Best friends listen to what you don’t say.”
Keep the ones that hear the things you’re not saying
Keep the friends that heard you when you never said a word.
True friends don’t disappear when you need them the most…
“True friends aren’t the ones who make your problems disappear. They are the ones who won’t disappear when you’re facing problems.”
Best friends make sure we never go through hard times alone
Best friends are people who make your problems their problems just so you don’t have to go through them alone.
They wipe your tears and pick you up when you fall
“Best friends share laughs, memories and inside jokes. They will always be honest and stand by your side no matter what. They wipe your tears, pick you up when you fall, and are forever a piece of your heart.” —
Sometimes, they’re the only therapy we need
Sometimes, just spending some quality time with good friends is the only therapy you need.
Just knowing that they support us is enough
Sometimes we need someone to simply be there. Not to fix anything or do anything in particular, but just to let us feel that we are cared for and supported.
They really are the cement that holds the world together…
Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. -Woodrow Wilson
…and the chocolate chips in our cookie of life
In the cookie of life, friends are the chocolate chips.
We can just sit in comfortable silence with true friends
“True friendship comes when the silence between two people is comfortable.” – David Tyson
We know that they already know what we’re thinking
One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention. -Clifton Fadiman
Our friends always know when we’re hiding pain behind a fake smile
A true friend is someone who looks at your smile and can tell whether it’s a real one or fake.
They truly are our soulmates
“Throughout life you will meet one person who is like no other. You could talk to this person for hours and never get bored, you could tell this person things and they will never judge you. This person is your soulmate, your best friend. Don’t ever let them go.”
Good friends are hard to find
Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget.
Find one that’s as wonderfully weird as you…
If you have friends who are as weird as you, then you have everything.
…and that makes you laugh and feel loved
Life is short. Spend it with people who make you laugh and feel loved.
Find one that helps you become the best version of yourself
A true friend accepts who you are, but also helps you become who you should be.
When you find that perfect friend, remain true to each other
“Friendship is not about who acts true to your face. It’s about people who remain true behind your back.”
Always remember, they’re the family you choose.
“Friends are the family you choose.”— Jess C. Scott
If you have just one good friend in this life, you’re more than lucky
“If you have two friends in your lifetime, you’re lucky. If you have one good friend, you’re more than lucky.” ― S.E. Hinton
25 More Inspiring & Meaningful Friendship Quotes
I chose the quotes above to fit with the story that I was trying to tell through the headers, but I actually had a lot more friendship quotes jotted down. Here are some more of my favorites that I didn’t get to use above.
- “A true friend is someone who is always there during the highs and lows of life.” – Unknown
- “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.'” – C.S. Lewis
- “Friendship is the sweetest form of love.” – Jeremy Taylor
- “Friendship is a sheltering tree.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- “Friendship is the only flower that blooms in all seasons.” – Unknown
- “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.” – Jim Morrison
- “Friendship is the golden thread that ties the heart of all the world.” – John Evelyn
- “In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and sharing of pleasures.” – Khalil Gibran
- “Friendship is born when two people discover they aren’t alone in the world.” – Unknown
- “A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” – Donna Roberts
- “Friendship is the only cure for hatred, the only guarantee of peace.” – Buddha
- “Friendship is the wine of life.” – Edward Young
- “Friendship improves happiness and abates misery by doubling our joy and dividing our grief.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “A true friend is someone who is always there to lift you up when you’re down.” – Amy Li
- “Friendship is the greatest gift one person can give another.” – Selena Gomez
- “A real friend is one who walks with you even when the path gets tough.” – Unknown
- “Friendship is the only thing in the world concerning the usefulness of which all mankind are agreed.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “Friendship is the most constant, the most enduring, the most basic part of love.” – Ed Cunningham
- “A true friend is someone who is always by your side, no matter what.” – Charles R. Swindoll
- “Wherever we are, it is our friends that make our world.” — Henry Drummond
- “Best friends are hard to find because the very best one is already mine.” —Unknown
- “And ‘til the very end you’re my best friend.” —Unknown
- “A loyal friend laughs at your jokes when they’re not so good, and sympathizes with your problems when they’re not so bad.” —Arnold H. Glasgow
- “Some people are worth melting for.” —Olaf, Frozen
- “It’s not that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but it’s your best friends who are your diamonds.” —Gina Barreca
15 Cute & Funny Short Friendship Quotes
Let’s finish up with a good dose of humor! Here are a few of my favorite funny best friend quotes!
- “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it’s a friend with chocolate.” —Linda Grayson
- “Best friends don’t care if your house is clean. They care if you have wine.”
- “We’ll always be friends because you match my level of crazy.”
- “Best friend: the one that you can be mad at only for a short period of time because you have important stuff to tell them.”
- “We’ve been friends for so long I can’t remember which one of us is the bad influence.”
- “Friends are therapists you can drink with.”
- “A good friend knows all your best stories. A best friend has lived them with you.”
- “You don’t have to be crazy to be my friend. I’ll train you.”
- “A messy house is a must—it separates your true friends from other friends. Real friends are there to visit you not your house!” —Jennifer Wilson
- “We’ll be the old ladies causing trouble in the nursing home.”
- “Best friends loan out DVDs knowing that they’ll never be seen again.”
- “Thank you for still being my friend, despite the fact that you are completely aware of every terrifying, raunchy, explicit detail of my life.”
- “Never let your friends be lonely, disturb them all the time.”
- “Friendship is a wildly underrated medication.” —Anna Deavere Smith
- “We live so far apart because the world just isn’t ready for that much awesomeness.” (This is one of my favorite long-distance friendship quotes!)
I’ve said it so many times before, but I’ll say it again: we need our friends to thrive. Life just isn’t the same without them. They’re truly the best emotional support we can have. Interested in more posts about friendship? Check out my thoughts on why life is too short to hang out with fake friends, and how we don’t always have to agree on everything to be friends.
Also, if you’re as big a quote fanatic as I am, here are a few more posts that you’ll love:
- 35 Inspirational Quotes That Show Us the True Meaning of Life
- 15 Quotes That Remind You To Take Care of and Believe in Yourself
- 39 Quotes About Blame That Are Full of Advice We All Need to Hear
- 31 Inspirational Motherhood Quotes That Capture What It Means to Be a Mom
I hope you enjoyed all of these inspiring friendship quotes! Now, go call up your besties and tell them just how much they mean to you!