The right words can inspire us, motivate us, and even make us want to change our whole life. They’re different for everyone, but for me, these are some of my favorite quotes that hit hard because they’re just so true. Read on to check them out!
Quotes that Hit Hard Because They’re So True
Ever come across a quote on Facebook or Pinterest and it just hit you so hard that it took your breath away because it was just SO true? Like, the author just peered right into your very soul and figured out exactly what you needed to hear? That’s what I think when I read these hard-hitting quotes below. Check them out, then tell me if they made you think “that is so true.”
1. Almost no one reaches their limit
Just when you think you’ve reached the limit of what you can take, you find the strength to go a little farther.
2. Changing your life starts with changing your actions
If you want to change your life, your destiny, or whatever, you have to do something different than what you’re doing now.
3. Life goes on
Short and sweet, but so true. Life can be painful and hard, or joyous and miraculous. But one thing’s certain- it goes on.
“In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” ― Robert Frost
4. Don’t just exist, live
Existing and surviving isn’t the same thing as living. Make sure you’re spending time doing things that make you feel like you’ve lived a full life when your time comes.
“Many people die at twenty-five and aren’t buried until they are seventy-five.” – Benjamin Franklin
5. Be thankful for what you have
Don’t spend your life concentrating on what you don’t have. Be grateful for what you DO have instead.
6. Don’t choose to be loved for what you aren’t
I’d rather be real with people and have them hate me than spend my life being fake and have them love me. Being fake is just exhausting!
7. Life is about creating yourself
You don’t need to go on an epic journey to “find” yourself. Just look in the mirror. Don’t like what you see? Create something new!
8. You need to make meaning in your life
This is one of the best quotes to inspire you to find the meaning of life, and SO true. Life is an opportunity, appreciate it.
9. Everyone is smart in their own way
This is one of my favorite quotes that hit hard because it’s so true. Everyone is smart in their own way. We shouldn’t judge each other against someone else’s notion of intelligence.
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. – Albert Einstein
10. Learn to dance in the rain
If you can learn to dance in the rain, you’ll be able to find joy even on the darkest, cloudiest day.
Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning how to dance in the rain. – Vivian Greene
11. Life owes you nothing
If there’s one lesson we all need to learn, it’s that life owes us nothing. If we want something, we have to go after it ourselves.
12. It’s up to us to make a good life
The quality of your life isn’t written in stone on the day you’re born. You need to decide what to write, and what story you want to live.
13. Don’t waste time trying to prove yourself
You should never feel like you have to prove that you’re good or need validation to know it in your heart. Just be the best person you can be. Others will either see it or won’t. It doesn’t really matter, as long as you know who you are.
14. Love shouldn’t hurt
If love causes you pain, then you’re not with the right person. This whole “love hurts” notion isn’t romantic. It’s dangerous.
15. Find someone who accepts you completely
Thanks to Jerry Maguire, we have an entire generation of people who think that love needs to “complete” you. We shouldn’t need someone else to make us feel complete. We just need someone who accepts us for who we already are.
“You don’t need someone to complete you. You only need someone to accept you completely.” – Unknown
16. It’s okay to move on from sadness
I want you to know that it’s okay to feel ready to “move on” after a tragedy. It doesn’t mean that you forget, or that you’re not still hurting. It just means that you’re not living sad.
Sad things happen. They do. But we don’t need to live sad forever.
17. Remember that you can overcome anything
History is full of lessons that prove that we can overcome anything. Remember that.
“Although the world is full of suffering, the world is also full of overcoming it.” ~ Helen Keller
18. Believe in yourself
This is one of my favorite quotes about believing in yourself. It’s short and simple, but full of meaning and a great reminder. You should always be your biggest fan!
19. Sometimes, things fall into place
I’ve never liked trite sayings like “things happen for a reason,” but I do think that sometimes we can look back and realize that the worst days of our lives actually led to the best.
20. Get your ship out of the harbor
If you want to succeed in life, you need to be willing to steer your ship away from the harbor.
A ship is safe in harbor, but that’s not what ships are for. – John A. Shedd.
21. You have to lose sight of the shore
Once your ship is out, you have to sail away from the shore if you want to change your life.
“You cannot swim for new horizons until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ― William Faulkner
22. Don’t blame others for your mistakes
It’s tempting to blame others for our mistakes, but sometimes we have to blame ourselves. After all, we knew better and did it anyway.
23. Watch for someone’s true colors
If someone stops loving you or talking to you the moment you can’t do something for them, they’re not the right type of person to have in your life.
24. Light a candle
The great thing about darkness is that you can dispel it simply by lighting a candle or turning on a lamp.
“Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle.” – Benjamin Franklin
25. You never know when you’re hitting a wound, so be gentle
We all have our sore spots and scar tissue. Be gentle with people and you’ll almost never end up hitting their wound. Don’t judge, be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
26. You can never get more time
If you take one lesson away from these quotes that hit hard, let it be this one. You can always find a way to make more money, but time is a precious commodity that you can never get back.
27. You can forgive and move on from someone
I truly believe that forgiveness is a gift you give yourself. But I also believe that you can forgive someone and never want to see them again, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
“It’s very possible and very okay to forgive someone and still not want to spend time with them.” – Karen Salmansohn
28. Love is a strong word, too
We teach our kids early on not to say “hate,” because it’s a strong word. Maybe we need to also teach them that “love” is just as powerful a word and shouldn’t be thrown around all willy-nilly either.
“Whenever I say I hate something people feel the need to respond with “hate is a strong word.” Yeah? Well so is love and people just throw that word around like it’s nothing.” – Unknown
29. Measure your life by the moments that take your breath away
It doesn’t matter how many years you live. It only matters how you spend those years. Focus on making memories and moments that take your breath away.
30. Take off against the wind
Just like airplanes take off against the win, sometimes the hardest parts of your life will make you soar the highest.
“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” ~ Henry Ford
31. It takes energy to make yourself miserable
Making yourself miserable takes just as much time and energy as making yourself strong. Decide which you’d rather focus on.
32. Don’t let anyone make you feel inferior
You have the power to decide how people make you feel. Never let anyone make you feel like you’re less than you are.
33. The easiest paths lead nowhere
Taking the path of least resistance may seem like the smart move, but chances are it leads right back to where you started. Go with the harder path and reap the greatest rewards.
“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn’t lead anywhere.” ~ Frank A. Clark
34. Silence is a lie of omission
Sometimes silence really is golden. Other times, though, it’s a lie of omission. So learn when to speak up and when to hold your tongue.
35. Being honest gets you the right friends
Speak up even if you’re worried that you’ll lose friends. If someone leaves you because you said what you felt, they weren’t real friends in the first place.
36. You are what you think
You are what you think, so don’t fill your life and your mind with negativity.
“The mind is everything. What you think you become.” ~ Buddha
37. Nothing matters more than family
One of my favorite quotes about family, and it’s so true. There is nothing in this world that matters more to us than our loved ones.
38. Don’t explain why you deserve respect
This is one of the best quotes about strong women, because it reminds us that we don’t need to waste our energy explaining to someone why we deserve respect.
39. A true friend is always there for you
I love this inspiring friendship quote because it’s so true. The best friend in the world is someone who is always there for you even when everyone else abandons ship. Hope you are fortunate to have at least one friend you can always count on.
40. There is no way to be a perfect mom
Here’s a hard-hitting quote for moms, and something every parent needs to remember. There is no such a thing as a perfect mother. It applies to dads, too!
41. You are not everyone’s cup of tea.
Out of all these quotes that hit hard, I think this is one of the most important lessons that we learn as we get older. No one, not even the nicest person on the planet, is universally loved by everyone. So, stop trying to please everyone and just be yourself. You will be a lot happier if you do, trust me.
25 More Hard-Hitting Quotes That We All Need to Hear
- “In the silence of our expectations, we find the music of reality playing its truest notes.”
- “Happiness is a mosaic, pieced together from the small, overlooked moments of joy.”
- “The heaviest burdens we carry are often the thoughts we refuse to put down.”
- “Growth and comfort do not share the same path, but they do meet at the crossroads of change.”
- “True wisdom is knowing the value of unknowing, embracing the questions as much as the answers.”
- “The art of life lies in the constant adjustment of our sails, not the stillness of the sea.”
- “In the garden of the mind, thoughts are the seeds; attention, the sunlight. Carefully choose what you cultivate.”
- “Our lives are written in the ink of our choices and the eraser of our resilience.”
- “The mirror of the world reflects what we project, but also invites us to see beyond our image.”
- “To find the way, sometimes we must allow ourselves to be lost in the right direction.”
- “The bravest journey is the one inward, towards the undiscovered countries of our souls.”
- “Time is the river we go fishing in, hoping to catch moments that nourish our hearts.”
- “In the architecture of our lives, love is the foundation, not just the decoration.”
- “The roots of true achievement lie in the will to become the best version of oneself.”
- “Resilience is the art of navigating the storms with a heart that refuses to sink.”
- “The most profound conversations are often held in the silence between words.”
- “Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom, and the last in the manual of friendship.”
- “The tapestry of life is richest when we weave threads of kindness and courage into its fabric.”
- “Fear is the shadow that grows in the absence of light; courage is the lamp that dispels it.”
- “Success is not the summit of a mountain but the steps we took that were invisible to others.”
- “In the dance of life, sometimes we lead, sometimes we follow, but always we learn to move to the rhythm of change.”
- “The most valuable antiques are old friends, timeless in their beauty and worth.”
- “Wisdom wears the disguise of simplicity, revealing its depth to those who pause to look beneath.”
- “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.”
- “The heart’s whispers are the universe’s loudest calls for us to follow our true path.”
Some of these quotes that hit hard are wonderfully uplifting reminders. Others might be a bit harder to hear. But all of them are so true, don’t you agree? I hope you enjoyed them as much as I do!