Oh the smell of freshly baked muffins coming out of the oven……..baking using fresh ingredients is important but what about making it healthy too? Super Healthy Banana Muffins: the answer to an easy to bake recipe using no refined sugars! Nutritious ingredients like bananas, dates, coconut flour, ghee and eggs and you can have a delicious treat without feeling guilty.
Being 5 months pregnant, it is natural to crave sweet things. I thought of baking muffins and substituting sugar for dates and bananas and it was a success! For this recipe I also used Arrowhead Mills Organic Coconut Flour and Purity Farm Organic Ghee. Gluten free, tasty and Super Healthy Banana Muffins. I can also enjoy sweet muffins just by adding dates which also will give me wonderful health benefits. It can’t get better than that!
My husband and my son also loved them and these Super Healthy Banana Muffins recipe is really a good family choice for breakfast, snack or dessert. I added Organic Walnuts to half of my muffins because my son is really not too crazy about them. Both versions came out really good.
If you are not familiar with Dates let me give you a little bit of information. First of all dates are a great substitute for refined sugars in recipes like desserts and smoothies. Want to add some sweetness to your green smoothie blends? A couple of dates will do the trick! For the muffins, combining dates with bananas was sweet enough not to need any additional sugar.
Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc. Dates contain vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.
If you would like more recipes using dates please take a look at my Almond Bites -Only Three Ingredients recipe.
Super Healthy Banana MuffinsPrint
Healthy muffins with no refined sugars and using coconut flour.
- 4 eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas (if bananas are small use 3)
- 5 pitted dates
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup melted ghee (you can use coconut oil or butter too)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- (1/2 cup chopped walnuts–optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a food processor or high speed blender, blend the bananas with the pitted dates.
- Place the blend with the rest of the ingredients in a medium to large bowl and mix until smooth and well incorporated. You can use a hand blender.
- Place in muffin liners previously sprayed with some cooking oil to prevent sticking. You can also use a muffin pan.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the muffins are lightly browned and set in the middle.